April 25, 2015

Girls volleyball team not showering for a cause

HOUSTON - It's hard for many to go a day without showering let along a week; but the Woodlands Girls High School volleyball team did and people were encouraging them to do so.
"Disgusting, challenging, sweaty,difficult!"
That is how several members of the team describe their past week as every member went on a shower strike, including the coach.
They're raising money for Well Aware, a non-profit that brings clean water to Africa. According to the organization, every 20 seconds a child dies in Africa because they don't have access to clean water.
"We set a goal of raising $5,000 before we take a shower," explained coach Leslie Madison.
"You don't think about how much you have until you don't have it," said Kayce Wright, a team member.
These back-to-back state champions have already raised more than $9,000.
"It's so awesome and I'm so proud of the girls for how well they've done in fundraising," said Madison.
Although they did have to deal with a little teasing, the team pushed through no matter what.
"The guys that might come up to us in the hallway and tell me I stink," Paris Andersson joked, "I would say, 'well I still smell better than you!'"
These girls are now state champions whose teamwork has gone global.

No comments: